Monday, January 4, 2010

1.4.10


Among my top interests, is food. My personality of being over indulgent and liking to eat might even be a character flaw. A favorite dish of mine is Vietnamese Pho, a beef and noodle soup.

Pho Background
I'm not a Pho expert, and I've decided to not research on the subject, but rather to share my current knowledge and opinion on Pho. Making Pho is a labor intensive endeavor. Its one of those foods where its easier to be constantly making it as opposed to randomly decided to do it. If you got it cooking all the time it works, otherwise get ready for a big grocery list and constant pot checking. This soup is essentially made of beef broth. The broth is created by cooking beef bones for 2days time. Im not sure when the noodles are cooked but before it is served they add raw meat to the soup. While in the soup the meat cooks well enough to eat. Meat varies, you can order meatballs, tripe, flank etc. Usually with an order of Pho you will also receive a plate of sprouts, jalapenos and Thai Basil to add more flavor. Eating Pho is one of the most pleasureful eating experiences for me. It has a meaty taste that I crave in food, but is also light and warm. Pho is not greasy at all so once you have eaten it, its a comfortable warm full.

Pho Logic
To me eating Pho is a process that I prepare for mentally. Before I eat Pho I make a personal commitment to the soup. I dress down, or mentally sacrifice what I'm wearing. Eating Pho can get messy because its a soup with long noodles. I almost always get it all over my front, but that's ok because its part of the process. I also commit to the Pho by making a promise that I will leave nothing behind. The best part of the soup is the actual broth, so once I'm done with the noodles and meat I do the respectable thing and lift my bowl to my mouth and finish off the broth. I cant eat Pho too often because I take it pretty serious but as of lately I cant stop thinking about it.

Thomas, Greg and I had the pleasure of eating, at Pho Green Papaya. Pho Green Papaya is a Vietnamese restaurant in West Valley. Everything about this restaurant receives high marks from me. Its aesthetically interesting from the inside to out. Its staff is courteous but not bother some and most importantly the food is always a pleasure to eat.

http://www.greenpapayautah.com/

Owners are also responsible for this little gift to SLC

http://www.sapabarandgrill.com/

M.E.T

No comments:

Post a Comment