Sunday, September 27, 2009

9.27.09

In the first two posts of this blog I have already confessed my love for food. Its sort of an obsession, and Im definitely a "craver".

Growing up, I was never introduced to "fine" food. Between the two of us, my mom is one of those 10% of moms who isn't a good cook. It seems like all my friends are always bragging about "Oh, I wont eat restaurant desserts! My mom/sister bakings puts this to shame!" My families cooking was never like that, although I like to eat it, I realize that its not amazing. At the time fancy to me was Sizzler's, and going to McDonald's almost put me to tears. My family in general was sort of uncultured. I didn't grown up listening to NPR, or Bob Dylan, my parents didn't know about paprika or any of that. I hate it when people think your stupid when the things of their life wasn't part of yours. Life is just different for each person, really sheesh! SO as soon as I got a job that paid over $10 an hour my life changed. I was finally able to indulge in a deep love of mind. I first splurged on fast food, I ate everything that I couldn't while growing up. I soon became bored with that and began exploring the amazing land of local favorites. I think that's when I gain the extra weight (which is minuscule compare to the weight other girls from highschool have gained. I'm serious.) Nowadays my taste hasn't really changed that much. I eat out less, due to another fantastic discovery. I CAN COOK! AND IM NATURALLY GOOD AT IT! I don't care much about rules that go along with cooking I more into experimenting. Most things I cook come out pretty good. I don't cook too often but I really like food and finding out how it comes to be. I still spend alot on going out to eat, and if I don't go out to eat during the weekend I feel like something is missing. I try to take my family out as often as I can. I like to make them try new things like Thai, Indian, Greek and good American. Whenever I take them out and pick up the tab, it makes me feel like Im helping their personal food journeys. My mom is always super adorable grateful when I take them out. This is making me want to do it more often! Some of my favorite SLC local restaurants are

Moochies
Emme's / Center St.
Settabello's
Bayou
Acme
Lambs Grill
Atlantic Cafe
Caputo's
Hatches
Himalayan Kitchen

I could go on for a long time.

Although I am mostly interested in local handmade food every now and then I feel the strange pangs of grease cravings. For instants lately I've been thinking alot about Costco deli food. I KNOW WHATS WRONG WITH ME? Ive decided to indulge myself. Im going to go there tomorrow after I go to the climbing gym. Ive convinced myself that its ok because I will work out right before eating and its a once a year thing. I believe that with both clothes and food its good to mix your everyday with pricey. Im anti just one or the other. I don't want to eat super expensive food all the time so I try to go to taco stands or salt lake owned deli's. Its also really fun to be able to walk or bike to the location. I think walking there always adds to the experience.

Later I will tell you about what food group philosophy I believe in.


M.E.T

No comments:

Post a Comment