Friday, February 25, 2011

Becoming Bert

Sesame street is something that is deeply printed onto my character. During the episode of Cake Boss where he makes a cake for the 40th Anniversary of Sesame Street. He gets to delivery the cake to the set, TO SESAME STREET. I bawled. I cried during most of the episode. If I ever get cancer Im going to wish for a sleepover on sesame street, BUT NO ELMO OR ABBYCADABBY


Growing up my favorite character was Ernie. I thought everything he did was hilarious, I basically wanted to be Ernie, he was a prankster who did whatever he pleased. A couple years ago I went on a PBS binge. For once in years I had a working TV. I was working on a big freelance project that required me to work long hours in my cold apartment. I began to watch a lot of Sesame Street to mediate the strain. I relished whenever a Burt and Ernie segment would come on. I would stop, physically turn around and watch. Something odd happened while I was watching. Here I was a young adult struggling to make ends meet. Forcing myself to work when it was the last thing I wanted to do, especially since my bed was so close and the only warm place. I had negative money and was learning the hard lesson of graduating to an adult. My ray of sunshine was Sesame Street but as I watched Ernie all I could think was.

"What a selfish asshole."

I put myself into the place of Burt. All I do is try to be nice, share and this rude roommate is always out to drink my beverage. This guy is always scheming to get more then his fair share. This jerk probably doesn't have to get up in the morning to go to work but makes sure I cant get to sleep. I had a new found appreciation for Burt. I was becoming him. Responsible, Quirky, Focused Interest, Thoughtful an Adult.

Recently while celebrating a friends birthday at a bar this topic was brought up. One friend stated that Burt was a weirdo who liked pigeons, Ernie was WAY better. I was appalled, but then it made sense. The truth is shes a bit spoiled and she has never lacked in the way most people including myself have. I realized that anyone who cant really see and appreciate Burt was not a true adult. Its easy to love the fun things, the pranksters. Its so much more difficult to love one (or oneself) with all the quirks and practicality. Sort of like your parents. As an adult sometimes I have to make good decisions instead of the fun ones in order to maintain a long term happiness, or good long term relationship with others.

As an adult I had the epiphany that well, I sort of sucked in comparison to others. I'm flawed, but those flaws are what make me different from others and make me, me. I still like Ernie as a character, sometimes he makes me want to hug myself. Burt, is more like me we like what we like and sometimes we have to be the unpopular word of reason. PLUS Burts got be a saint to allow Ernie to be his roommate. Seriously.

M.E.T

2 comments:

  1. Hi Marcela,
    I saw one of your designs at Frosty Darling and wrote down your info. I was wondering if I could bring a dress to you that needs alteration. You do beautiful work!
    Let me know. Thanks,
    Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  2. Caroline -

    Hi, Im glad to hear you liked some of the things I made. You can email me at marcelae.torres@gmail.com. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete